21 Social Media Predictions for 2013 From the Pros
#7: Twitter Personalizes Your Twitter Feed
In 2013, Twitter is going to start “personalizing” your Twitter feed based on an algorithm that social media pundits might call “TweetRank,” or perhaps “TwedgeRank.”
The algorithm will include the following factors:
- Influence: A measure of how influential the person tweeting is, based on the ratio of followers to following, the regular number of retweets he/she gets, mentions and favorites received, how influential his/her followers are and how often he/she is added to Twitter lists.
- Engagement: How often you engage with the tweeter in the form of mentions, retweets and favorites.
- Alignment: How closely the tweeter resembles you, based on your bio, geographic area, the lists you follow and the lists you both appear on.
- Gravity: How often that particular tweet has been retweeted and favorited.
- Your Interests: If the topic of the tweet is of interest to you, based on your previous tweets, retweets, favorites and hashtags.
Invariably, brands will complain that they can no longer get the engagement they once got on Twitter, at which point Twitter will roll out an advertising platform that allows you to buy a better TwedgeRank for your tweets.
There, now I said it.
Rich Brooks, president of flyte new media.
#8: Google+ Is a “Must” Place to Be
Google+ will be a “must use” service. But it won’t be due to the social elements. Rather, it will be because it becomes the central hub for